Friday, December 30, 2005

 

Last best-of-the-year list

A few friends and colleagues have emailed in with some favorite books of the year (again, books read this year, not necessarily published this year). Barrie says she is in heaven with The City of Falling Angels by John Berendt (Penguin, 2005). Niki says that this year she's read one of the best books she's ever read: David Mitchell's Cloud Atlas (Random, 2004). Spats says Vernon God Little by DBC Pierre (Harvest, 2004) is good. Andrew says he didn't like Larry McMurtry's Roads: Driving America's Great Highways (Simon & Schuster, 2000) because of some celebrity name-dropping, however "...he also devotes a lot of ink to his bookstore in Texas" so read it anyway. I'm always looking for more bookshop narratives in print, and I want to visit Archer City myself, so I include it here. And Sandy is snowed in up in northern Maine reading Lillian Beckwith's books about moving to and living in the Hebrides. These have recently been reprinted by House of Stratus (with very lovely covers, I might add), and I believe the first in the series is The Sea for Breakfast.

I've read exactly NONE of these books, and am looking forward to seeing copies come across my desk in the year ahead. Anyone have anything to add to this list? What should I (and you) be reading next? Comment below if so moved - what was so good this year that you repeatedly pressed it on friends, and couldn't stop yourself from talking about it? I've already mentioned Mark Helprin's The Pacific and Other Stories below, but I am silly over this book and have been all year, so here it is again.

Meanwhile, I've just read with great pleasure a narrative about the rare book trade in Maine - A Backward Look: 50 Years of Maine Books and Bookmen by Francis M. O'Brien (Anthoensen Press, 1986). And onward with Samuel Pepys! I still haven't found affordable copies of volumes VII and VIII, so am anticipating a reading crisis in mid-January.

Comments:
I fell in love with '84 Charing Cross Road' (Helene Hanff) - now one of my favourite books for rereading.
 
Highlights this year for me were Neil Gaiman's Anansi Boys, Terry Pratchett's Going Postal and Thud, their joint Good Omens, Christopher Morley's Internal Revenue, C.E. Montague's collection of short stories Action and collection of essays A Writer's Notes On His Trade, Cunninghame Graham's Reincarnation, a bunch by Angela Thirkell, several graphic novels (Sandman series, Maus, Watchmen), rereads of Mrs. Gaskell's Cranford and Shirley Jackson's Life Among the Savages, and, most enjoyed this year, Alexander Smith's Dreamthorp.

Thanks for passing on more suggestions.
 
Tracey - I read Helene Hanff for the first time when I was a teenager. I still love her, how could I not. Her book selection is what gets me - she was educating herself in the best possible way: with old lovely books, according to personal whim and obsession. Still haven't seen the film, I can't bear to have the book superimposed upon, if you know what I mean. Her follow-up, "The Duchess of Bloomsbury Street," is almost as good.

Dan - I appreciate the recommendations. I'm about to post separately about Cunninghame Graham...
 
On a quiet, gray November weekend I fell into Elizabeth Gaskell's Wives and Daughters. I climbed out of the book on Monday and was dazed and dismayed by the 21st century! I devoured this book like I have not devoured a book since I was 14 years old.

Now, I am the last reader to suggest that any other writing is like Jane Austen's, but Gaskell's witty social satire does remind me of Austen's voice. And Wives and Daughters has the satisfying heft ofa mid-19th century novel. Dan, I have sadly been unable to fall into Cranford.
 
Hmmm. Sounds interesting - a few years ago I was relentlessly hooked on Buffy the Vampire Slayer, this sounds like it could feed that same yen. Thanks for the suggestion!
 
Sarah, you might try Soapy by Thomas Noer (biography, very nicely put together, well-researched, beautiful writing.) I love biographies, but only when they're balanced & avoid the problem of fawning on/or trashing the person. Noer does a beautiful job of avoiding both of those problems and vividly brings to life a very strong-willed politician with ethics. Then there's the old "What Shall I Do With My Life" by Po Bronson. I talked about this book for a long time after I read it, just because the characters are so vivid & you really empathize with the crisis they're in. This year I discovered Tamora Pierce & read everything she wrote. Good for people who like fantasy, strong female characters, and exciting plot lines. 'Nuff for now? :)
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?