Saturday, January 21, 2006

 

Bookmarks

This is another bit of ephemera I found in a book recently, circa 1950. If only all publishers would provide bookmarks with their books. At a library sale one summer I came across an entire box of Patrick O'Brian novels - I happily pounced on them, and didn't realize until I got them back to the shop that their previous owner had dog-eared every other page in every single book. Did the owner stop reading every other page? Or use the dog-ears to mark a significant passage? But if each page was that good, why not just re-read the entire book?! I silently cursed him/her as I sat and straightened each page. The irony is that Norton, who published the O'Brian books, did provide free bookmarks with the Aubrey/Maturin series, and very nice ones, at that. Browsing this morning through The Book-Lovers' Anthology (Oxford, 1911) I came across this:

"Is not the leaf turned down
Where I left reading?"
- Shakespeare. Julius Caesar.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?