Monday, January 23, 2006

 

Charles Dickens

If there's anyone better at creating bizarre characters and plots that LIVE, that in fact swirl like raging tempests, I don't know who it is. I got sucked into watching television last night, because Bleak House was on. It was the first of six episodes on Masterpiece Theatre, and I don't know why anyone would have bothered to watch anything else, this was so riveting. I was, of course, reading in the next room, and my husband suddenly yelled out "Bleak House, Bleak House!!" I came in to see what the fuss was all about and two hours went by before I blinked again. When it ended, I realized I was actually sitting on the edge of my seat. Now, I've never read Bleak House. But I find that I have a copy on the shelf at the shop. It is, in fact, sitting in front of me at this very moment. So, my dilemma is this: read and find out what happens, because I don't know if I can stand the suspense of waiting through five more episodes, or don't read and stick it out and be surprised, then go and read the book through afterwards? Do I have time this week to take on a 600-page novel? Great Expectations is one of my all-time favorite novels, so I'm not completely Dickens-deprived. Dickens certainly would have approved of the miniseries format, too, so many of his novels were originally issued in parts. What to do, what to do...

Comments:
No don't read the novel. Watch the TV show as it's better not knowing what happens.

The show aired over here at the end of last year and I loved it. Like you I was on the edge of my seat and we had it in half hour instalments. Look forward to hearing what you think of the next episode.
 
I've tried to read Bleak House before and stopped(it's not one of his more cheerfull books)but with the miniseries on,I'm trying again.

I was thrilled to hear that Andrew Davies did the screenplay-I actually got to met him when my Jane Austen group went to England in '02. He was a great speaker with a very ribald sense of humor. Just curious but what does your copy of Bleak House look like?

I have a Modern Library paperback and an Oxford illustrated version,which I find to be the better edition. The Modern Library paperbacks are nice but bulky compared to the Oxford Illustrated hardcovers.
 
Thanks for your comments... See my current post for the reason I won't be reading it first. The Literary Guild, Doubleday, 1953, edition is the one I have here. I'll look for the Oxford hardcover, but now that the series is on, I bet all the used copies around here will be scarfed up.

I loved Andrew Davies's adaptation of "Middlemarch" and was happy to see that this was his, too. Vicky - if you are reading this, he also adapted Mrs. Gaskell's "Wives and Daughters."
 
I think you're about the fifth person I've read lately who has called the show "riveting." I guess the word just fits!

I'm having the same dilemma - to read or not to read. I think I'll go with Clare's advice and enjoy the suspense.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?