Wednesday, January 04, 2006

 

A few blogs of note

Well, here I thought I was the only secondhand bookseller blogging in Maine, about books at least, and I find out that my colleague and friend Ian has been blogging (rather wittily, I might add) for months. Ian Kahn - what a wonderful name for someone who is clearly destined to become the next A.S.W. Rosenbach. Seriously, he's the cat's meow. RARE books, not just the used and medium-rare trifles I deal with in my little bookshop. And a real booklover to boot, he doesn't just talk the talk. He is reeeeaalllly obsessed with books and book-lore and will go far in this business.

And I heard back from my mystery customer - the fellow who bought a book at my shop (bless him) and then asked if I was the blogger. Brendan has a fine blog he's just started up, and I look forward to reading his posts, bookish and otherwise.

Is this blogger etiquette - when someone mentions you on their blog, you do the same for them? Well, in these two cases, most happy to oblige. As I told Brendan, this is a great way for bookish introverts to check in with each other. This is not to say that Ian and Brendan are introverts, but I certainly am, so this makes communication a bit easier on my end.

Comments:
Wow. Sarah, you are *far* too kind (or drunk?!?). I will get the check in the mail to you tomorrow *laughing*. Love the blog and more so that there is another in the state so afflicted (books and blogging). Talk with you soon. Until then, I offer you a strange little quotation I ran across recently that sums up the affliction pretty well: "If I were the owner of the copy of Keats's Poems which Shelley had in his pocket when he was drowned, and which Trelawney threw upon the funeral pyre, I confess I should never read it...though I might keep it in a little shrine and burn incense to it." (Harry B. Smith)

Talk with you soon.
--
Ian J. Kahn
Lux Mentis, Booksellers
http://www.luxmentis.com
 
I thank you, as well, Sarah. I just returned from Maine; now you & Ian have me missing it like crazy. Best wishes to both of you, and good luck with your blogs.
 
Ian, you may notice from my New Year's Eve post, below, that my beverage of choice is non-alcoholic... let's just say that there's at least one addiction (affliction?) that I have under control! Books, however, are a DIFFERENT STORY... little shrines indeed. We know them well.

Brendan, whatever are you doing in Iowa, when Maine beckons? There's no place I'd rather live. Quirky bookshops, too, which is central to my criteria of liveability. But what am I saying, you have Prairie Lights!
 
What can I say? Iowa's where I'm from. But my wife Kate is from Monroe (near Belfast), so with some luck we'll get back. I wouldn't have left except that Maine Times went belly up, so we moved to New Hampshire and worked there for a year, then South Korea for a year, now back to Iowa for 3: Kate's in law school. What I really miss is Blueberry Ale from the Whig & Courier!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?