Wednesday, January 11, 2006

 

Google and e-books

Interesting news today about Google and one possible future of those little oblong chunks of paper we all love so much. Whenever I read an article like this I wonder why the author doesn't distinguish somehow between plain old information availability (Must read Jane Eyre for English class, need cheap edition) and die-hard book-love (Oh, how I would love a first edition of Jane Eyre, but this lovely old hardcover will do for now...). If I wanted just the information contained in a book, I wouldn't care if I had to read it on a computer screen or not. But that's not all I want. I want traditional BOOKS. They take up space - good, they are beautiful, sitting there on the shelves. They are old-fashioned - good, publishing real books is a tradition that can live on forever, as far as I'm concerned. Don't tell me that any e-book that anyone cares to invent will be as attractive, convenient, loveable, comforting, easy to interface with, etc., as a plain old regular book. Rant over.

Comments:
I am about to read The Age of Innocence for the third time. The first two copies I read were from the local library ( long live local libraries!), but this time I will be reading my copy, a lovely hardcover edition in blue cloth with gilt lettering and a sewn binding. An elegant format for elegant writing. What joy!
 
We speak the same language, Vicky.
:O)

Now, I'm sure a cute little gadget could be invented to read genre fiction on, one that would surely be more attractive than the standard hideous mass-market paperback is today. Just leave my beloved hardcovers alone, please!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?