Tuesday, January 03, 2006

 

January in a used bookshop in Maine


In a word, slow. I didn't sell any books today, although I had a few browsers stop in. I did sell a book on Amazon, however. That's the way it goes! And here I sit shuffling papers and thinking about paying my taxes. In the spirit of the season, here's a reading suggestion: Herbert Faulkner West's Modern Book Collecting for the Impecunious Amateur, Little, Brown, 1936. I've read this before, but was browsing in it again before Christmas. The author keeps going on and on about one of his favorite authors, one R. B. Cunninghame Graham. I mean on and on to the point where you as a reader (me, that is) says "Ok, ok, just who the heck is this Cunninghame Graham, anyway?" Then Dan, one of the three regular readers of this blog, comments below after a best-of-the-year post that one of his bests is a Cunninghame Graham book. Now I'm really interested. After all, Dan shares a love of Christopher Morley with me, so I am apt to view his other reading interests with favor.

My well-worn copy of Benet's The Reader's Encyclopedia tells us that C.G. was a close friend of Conrad, W.H. Hudson (who I have a shelf of at home), and G.B. Shaw. "He was rover and an eccentric, a great horseman, and always a fine writer." High praise from Benet, who incidentally was one of Christopher Morley's dearest friends. So I am off on the trail, bookhunting again. Herbert Faulkner West, as is evident from reading his fine book, was a personal friend of C.G., as well as a collector of his books. Dan, seek it out - in the introduction he quotes from Dreamthorp at length. Good books always lead to other good books, one of West's points in his book.

Comments:
Thanks for the pointer to Herbert faulkner west, Sarah; I'll definitely check him out.

I think what I liked best about Cunninghame Graham, based on reading one short collection of his stories, was the understated nature of the stories and their density. Characters felt strongly, but showed it undramatically. As for the density, I expected to fly through the slim volume, but each sentence was packed with specific detail and required careful deliberate reading. Nothing was superfluous and nothing was a placeholder over which the eyes could skip.

Dan
 
Dan, in the H.F. West book, pp.20-21, he relates the story of seeing Cunninghame Graham alone at Canterbury Cathedral just after Conrad's funeral. This a few weeks after a friend pressed one of C.G.'s books on him, saying he was one of the best writers in England. The book just gets better from there.
 
Oh, I want that book! Love the cover.
 
I often buy books because I love the covers. Especially books from the 1920s and 1930s like this... Nice blog, by the way, Patricia!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?