Wednesday, February 08, 2006

 

One more steamship dust jacket

A few people have emailed in that they like the last two jackets, so here's another from my collection. This is not a scarce or valuable book by any means, but just look at this cover:

I read a book recently about the sinking of the Lusitania, and seeing this jacket illustration again afterwards sent chills up my spine. It's a short novel published by Harcourt, Brace in 1931, about an ocean liner disaster in the Atlantic, and is based on the real-life mysterious sinking of the S.S. Vestris. James Gould Cozzens won the Pulitzer Prize in 1948 for his novel Guard of Honor (another book I haven't read - there are just so many).

Gary from North Carolina tells me that yesterday's mystery author Constance Butler was indeed a real person, she has a listing in an author's Who's Who he's seen. One mystery cleared up, thanks!

These books are not for sale at my shop, by the way (sorry, folks, but thanks for asking). This blog is not for promotion, advertising, or the hard sell in any shape or form. I hate the hard sell, and I am not a chaser of the dollar, above and beyond what it takes to keep my shop open and the bills paid up, so the blog will remain solely about books, reading, book-love, collecting, and keeping shop. Or whatever I feel like, but I really will try to stay on all topics bookish.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?