Monday, March 06, 2006

 

Signs of Spring

The cold snap is over, thank goodness, and I hope that's the last we see of it this year. My husband, henceforth to be known as Ryan, since I can't just keep calling him "my husband" over and over on this blog, and I went for a long walk yesterday in Acadia National Park. Two inches of very soft snow on the ground made the carriage road feel like we were walking on sand. Five and a half miles around Eagle Lake, the sky was blue as blue can be. The only people we saw were either out icefishing on the lake, or at the parking lot. One more reason I love Maine, nearly absolute solitude is always close by, even in a national park. The walk was good for both of us; Ryan needed to stretch his legs without running, and since I don't run, I just needed to get out into the woods and see what's what.

Last weekend in Massachusetts we saw canada geese and a huge flock of fat robins, and I hope they've made it to Maine by now. I walk through a nearby park every morning on my way to the bookshop, and today I heard some songbirds, but I don't know what they were, other than happy to see the sun, like me. When will the migrating tourists return? Months from now, but that's ok, I don't like to be too busy at the shop. Well, I've got big business to attend to, such as vacuuming (oh, the romance and glamour of running your own shop...) and plant-watering, so I will wish everyone a happy Monday in the high 30s to low 40s. Find a sunny window in which to curl up and read, if you get a chance, that's all I have to say about books at the moment.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?