Saturday, May 20, 2006

 

A bit of overheard book gossip

Ryan and I got a bite to eat at the local pub last night, The Whig and Courier, and the people at the table next to us were talking loudly about The DaVinci Code, both film and book. One guy said he was listening to the audio version "...because every time I start to read a book I fall asleep." Heh. I looked across the table at Ryan and tried to keep a straight face. I thought back to my day off on Thursday, which I spent glued to several books, for hours, and at one point on Wednesday night I was actually trembling because I almost couldn't bear to finish the book I was reading, it was so good. It was not The DaVinci Code. Oh all right, I'll tell you - Embers by Sándor Márai. I picked up a copy at the library sale last weekend, and had to read it when I read the London Times blurb inside: "A classic. Magnificent. A spellbinding piece of narration driven by intense passion." Now that's a blurb! And my lord it was true I could not put the book down. The tension builds throughout the book slowly and inexorably, relentlessly, toward the conclusion. The book reminds me of Henry James, Edith Wharton, and Proust, but distilled, better. I'm still thinking about it, and I may re-read it right away to see how it's put together, how the author created that sense of tension, now that I know how it ends.

So books do indeed keep me awake! Another bit of book gossip I forgot to mention from last weekend - as we were waiting for the library sale to open, we were lounging around on the massive granite front steps, and saw a bit of good graffiti scraped into the base of the antique-style light fixture: "Reading is f***ed up" (with a little heavenward-pointing arrow instead of the word "up") and right next to it someone else had scratched something along the lines of "Educate yourself," with another arrow pointing to the first graffito. Gave me a chuckle.

Comments:
After reading this post, a friend emailed with another graffito:

Seaver Hall at Harvard, in one of the bathroom stalls, the line reads:

Back in 5 minutes...

-Godot
 
Not graffito, but I thought you'd appreciate the following from Logan Pearsall Smith's Trivia (actually in Morley's first collection of Modern Essays). It was clearly written on one of his grumpier days.

Consolation

The other day, depressed on the Underground, I tried to cheer myself by thinking over the joys of our human lot. But there wasn't one of them for which I seemd to care a button- not Wine, nor Friendship, nor Eating, nor Making Love, nor the Consciousness of Virtue. Was it worth while then going way up in a lift into a world that had nothing less trite to offer?

Then I thought of reading- the nice and subtle happiness of reading. This was enough, this joy not dulled by Age, this polite and unpunished vice, this selfish, serene, life-long intoxication.

Dan

Your neighbor at the pub could add it's a good way to fall asleep.
 
Dan, how lovely that is, thanks for adding it. In a similar vein:

"(I had) ... a personal addiction to reading as a never ending source of generous delight."

– Stuart Brent, "The Seven Stairs" (which I know you've now read)

Forgive me if I've posted this quote before, it's one of my favorites. If so, here it is again. Generous delight. Joy not dulled by Age. Both hint at that wonderful inner spaciousness that reading creates.
 
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?