Friday, May 05, 2006

 

Bookish notes via email

I received this from my friend Vicky yesterday, she's been reading Dorothy L. Sayers's Lord Peter Wimsey mysteries and found this (she knew I would like it, being as I am a fan of Wimsey, books, and lobster):

"Books, you know, Charles, are like lobster-shells. We surround ourselves with 'em and then we grow out of 'em and leave 'em behind, as evidences of our earlier stages of development..."

And my friend Sue sent this, from a gardening magazine she's reading (no author noted):

"If of thy earthly goods
Thou art bereft
And from thy slender store
Two loaves to thee are left,
Sell one and with the dole
Buy hyacinths to feed the soul."


It feels like summer outside today, and there's a little vacant lot next door that the city owns and has turned into a small garden, so I've been wandering out there on and off all morning, watching the tulips open (no hyacinths), and thinking about what to read next. It's not like I don't have, shall we say, multiple options.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?