Monday, May 08, 2006

 

Books for children (and grownups)


I spent time with my gloriously pregnant younger sister over the weekend, part of which was devoted to a large baby shower for her and her husband and friends and extended family. Of course (while I couldn't resist getting a few pieces of clothing that rated off the chart on The Scale of Ridiculously Cute Things), I gave books. I'm starting them out with a stack of board books by Sandra Boynton - I figure if she and her husband are going to have to read something several thousand times over the next two or three years, it may as well be funny, short, and have a good rhyme scheme. I will ease them into the classics and our family favorites a bit later.

Then this morning before work I walked over to the post office to buy some stamps, and ended up with the children's book animal stamps, one of which features Garth Williams's Wilbur from E.B. White's Charlotte's Web. So all this has me thinking about what children's books really stuck with me from my own childhood. My older sister has a daughter, and I've loved being the book auntie - she is ten and we have long phone conversations about what she's been reading. I made sure she encountered Laura Ingalls Wilder, Robert McCloskey, Frances Hodgson Burnett, Herge's Tintin, etc., and it seems to have worked, she is a total book nut. It helps that both of my sisters are readers, of course.

My own favorites I still have on a shelf at home, and they include The Secret Garden and A Little Princess by Frances Hodgson Burnett, Charles Kingsley's The Water Babies, with Heath Robinson's illustrations, The Reluctant Dragon by Kenneth Grahame, He Went With Marco Polo by Louise Andrews Kent, Blueberries for Sal and One Morning in Maine by Robert McCloskey, and one of my very favorites, Howard Pyle's The Wonder Clock. His beautiful illustrations haunt me to this day. My other absolute favorite (I can't pick just one, obviously) is Beatrix Potter's The Tailor of Gloucester (see image above), with its tiny mouse-note, No more twist. My least favorite children's book is also by Beatrix Potter, oddly enough. I was discussing it with a few new friends in the shop last week, who were widely read in children's literature, and they said I was not alone in my choice of The Tale of Samuel Whiskers. The image it contains of Tom Kitten being rolled up in dough by the rats in has horrified me my whole life. It’s one of the few children’s books I regret reading. But I digress. Back to book-love: I also read and re-read books by Lois Lenski, Rumer Godden, Holling Clancy Holling, C.S. Lewis, and Lucy Maud Montgomery.

A great reference for learning more about children's authors and illustrators is editor Anita Silvey's fat doorstop of a book Children's Books and Their Creators (Houghton, Mifflin 1995). It contains alphabetical entries on writers and artists, as well as general information on broad themes in children's literature, and copious quotes from the authors and artists themselves. Now that you know some of mine, dear readers, what were your favorites?

Comments:
Some of my favorite children's books are the usual suspects: Heidi,Black Beauty,A Little Princess(which I like better than The Secret Garden)and all the Little House books.

I also adored Judy Blume,Betsy Byars and Norma Klein(who seems to be out of print,it's really hard to find a copy of Mom,The Wolfman and Me). Charlie and the Chocolate Factory I reread several times but for some reason,I never tried the sequel,Charlie and The Great Glass Elevator. One book I still have from childhood is my illustrated copy of Little Women,a Grosset and Dunlap edition which is still around,I'm happy to say.
 
"Heidi" I also love. And how could I have forgotten the many gentle books of Margaret Wise Brown, and another favorite, "My Father's Dragon" by the Gannetts. Too many good books!
 
I don't think I ever had one particularly favorite book, although I do have a select few authors that I just adore. How about the Lonely Doll? That's awfully sad. Velveteen Rabbit, and of course, Margaret Wise Brown, Beverly Cleary, Pippi Longstocking (Astrid L.), Dr. Suess, the Boynton books, the Berenstein Books, Are You There God? Its Me, Margaret, Go Tell Alice (ok, not a child's book, but definitely a young book), and hm.... current favorites include Rick Riordan's Lighting Thief and the sequel, Harry Potter, Diane Duane's So You Want To Be A Wizard series & her Cat Wizard series, and..... many more. Anything illustrated by Gijsbert (Nick) Van Frankenhuyzen is usually a winner.

Oh, and then there's Gloria Whelan, Christopher Paul Curtis....
 
Shel Silverstein's works were reread numerous times, and I remember reading numerous Hardy Boys; they are hardly classics, but their pulp quality was fantastic and I remember reading for volume. I can still remember individual covers, and was thrilled when I discovered the older, hardcover editions at the library. When I was finally able to check out #1, I remember being especially excited.
 
Dr. Dolittle and Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle stand out for me. I was fortunate to grow up in a houseful of books and would read anything at hand.

I think we've talked about Noel Perrin's A Child's Delight, his collection of columns on worthy but neglected child books.

Dan Chambers
 
Kim, I seemed to be attracted to books with a high pathos level - "The Velveteen Rabbit" was right up there. Love the original illustrations too. Favorite Dr. Seuss was a weird one, "On Beyond Zebra" - what if the alphabet went on after the letter Z? Indeed. Good stuff.

Anon, I was similarly captivated by Nancy Drew, the old versions. And Enid Blyton's adventure books, "The Castle of Adventure" etc. Shel freaked me out a bit - I was a quiet kid (until teenagerhood). My mother says that Sesame Street made me cry, but I curled right up for Mr. Rogers. Hee hee...

Dan, "Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle" is a current favorite of my niece, second only to Pippi and Harry Potter this spring. In Mrs. P-W I loved the slow-eater-tiny-bite-taker, but again, was seriously freaked out by the radish cure (boy refuses to bathe, I seem to recall, and radishes are planted in the dirt on his arms...).

* Shudder *
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?