Thursday, May 25, 2006

 

The way of the world

Not the Congreve play, just a comment on how the world works, some days: last weekend we paid off our intrepid little Saturn, the bookmobile, finally. And today, the guys at the garage nodded their heads sadly and told us that we need a new head gasket, starter, plus various other bits and pieces which add up to way too much, so of course it might be better in the long run to get a new car. Debt-free for almost a week, it was very sweet... Unfortunately, perhaps not a natural state in this day and age.

Happier and perhaps more interesting news: yesterday afternoon a personable gentleman came in and announced he was the son of Bernard DeVoto and did I have any of his books. I didn't, although he did find reference to his father in a great little Wallace Stegner book I had on writing and writers, so he didn't leave empty-handed. He was personable and charming - we chatted as I wrote up a sales slip for him and I asked if his father had gotten along with historian and literary critic Van Wyck Brooks, an author I quite like (my Reader's Encyclopedia only tells me tantalizingly that DeVoto opposed Brooks's views, which could have meant anthing, but then, why would Benet have bothered to mention it at all if it didn't mean something). Well. His son gave me the link to his own site, on which he has a telling letter posted from his father to Brooks, which is well worth reading, if anyone is so inclined. It contains a remarkable combination of tact, offense, defense, intellect, kindliness, and rebuff. It makes me want to read his books. And I still like Brooks. And books, I've had some good customers today... This is also the way of the world, fortunately.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?