Friday, July 28, 2006

 

A bit of Montaigne

Thunderstorms are tearing through my neck of the woods, so I am taking a few moments to blog before shutting down my computer for the evening. My street lost power for a half hour or so earlier today - I had four people browsing in the shop at the time, and thank goodness I have a large picture window in the front of the shop, and emergency lights in the hallway leading downstairs. The intrepid browsers still bought their books, which was good!

Anyway - I'm wondering why every book I pick up this week contains paeans to Michel de Montaigne and his Essays. I read most of the Essays years ago when I took a Renaissance literature seminar at the local university - we read incredible books I might never have picked up otherwise: Petrarch's poetry, the Decameron, parts of the Heptameron, Rabelais's Gargantua and Pantagruel, Erasmus's Praise of Folly, Utopia by Thomas More, and selections from Montaigne. I finally started reading Dreamthorp this morning, by Alexander Smith (my edition is Page & Co, Boston 1907), and he quotes Montaigne at length. One bit of descriptive praise I particularly like:

"...his page is alive and restless, like the constant flicker of light and shadow in a mass of foliage which the wind is stirring." (p.43)

And in describing Montaigne's chateau tower-library room:

"...over the central rafter he inscribed in large letters the device - 'I DO NOT UNDERSTAND; I PAUSE; I EXAMINE.'" (p.40)

A noble motto. Perhaps I should carve it over the door lintel at my bookshop. I see I must revisit the Essays soon. When I come across multiple references to an author all at once I pay attention, and I wonder if my reading muses are trying to tell me something.

Comments:
Dear Sarah,

Well, another book to add to the pile. After your post, I reread Smith's "On the Writing of Essays" and his fervent praise of Montaigne. If you and he both praise it, I guess it goes on the list. And I'm happy to hear that it has more humor than Bacon.

I'll be interested in hearing what you think of Dreamthorp. My edition is George P. Humphrey 1890 and has the names and dates (1890, 1915) of two previous owners. I so enjoy seeing names of previous owners. I reread my favorite essay in the book, A Lark's Flight, which is not a lyrical nod to nature, but a wide-ranging essay on capital punishment, death, memories of the author, and an astonishing explanation for the essay's title.

Dan
 
Dan, Alain de Botton praises Montaigne to the skies. And M invented the personal essay as we know it. I'll be taking a look again myself - although I can't believe I don't have a copy in stock right now, or at home! The shame!

A Lark's Flight - when I read the title I was expecting something about rural rusticating, or small-hamlet living, it reminded me of "Lark Rise to Candleford" - and I was surprised to find it NOT AT ALL the case. I thought the lark's flight was a beautiful metaphor (as well as a literal happening) for the soul's flight from the body at the point of death. Also, an image that reminds us of the apparent heartlessness of nature - it goes on, no matter what's happening with the puny affairs of humanity. One reason I need to see the ocean often - its enormity puts everything else into proper perspective.

More of my favorite quotations from the book soon - tomorrow, perhaps. Thanks for recommending it.

Bacon gives me the shivers. Francis Bacon, that is. I am partial to a well-made BLT on occasion. Ha.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?