Saturday, July 15, 2006

 

Contentment as a way of life

Random Saturday notes:

My friend Vicky sent good wishes for my new nephew's birth, and reminded me that not only is the 11th her own son's birthday, and hence a very fine day to have a baby boy, but also that it is E.B. White's birthday. A fine literary antecedent! We can of course begin with shreddable and eatable paperbacks and board books, but I will also be on the lookout for first editions to start this baby's fine library.

My pal Ian is blogging again after a rather long hiatus (I didn't want to mention anything was amiss but - ahem - discreet cough-cough - it's been a while since his last post). Good to see you back in the blogosphere, Ian, we missed you!

What a great time I had yesterday getting caught up - what with visitors, many paying customers, and phone calls and emails from around the globe, it was an ideal day, and concluded with two personable used book dealers from Ohio dropping in and spending a few hundred bucks on some fine books. Hallelujah. Today, I skipped the local library sales (Camden, Tenant's Harbor) because I just didn't feel like going out, plus Ryan is running a road race in the next town over, the Old Town Canoe Hullaballoo. Plus it's shaping up to be a ninety-degree day, so I am back at the easel, conveniently located behind my desk, with the air conditioner pointing my way, and two customers are quietly browsing in the back room. And the Volebeats latest cd is playing. Some days life is a deep well of contentment. I have enough of the other kind of day to recognize and appreciate the contented days, when they happen along.

Comments:
You erred in missing the TH sale...there was a parade after the sale, a pancake breakfast before it and fireworks in the evening (it was on St. George's Founder's Day). Best of all, you could have spent the afternoon on the ocean at my parent's home and/or across the road at the schoolhouse we are renovating (and where SJ Jewett wrote Country of the Pointed Fir). The fair itself was ok...I picked up one outstanding item and a handful of nice things.
 
NOW you tell me, my fine friend! Well, there's nothing for it but to make a plan for next year's sale... "Country of the Pointed Firs" is one of my favorite books, not just one of my favorite Maine books. Would love to see where she wrote it...
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?