Saturday, July 08, 2006

 

Heaven surely must be...

...an enormous library sale in which almost all the books are fifty cents each. Or free, if it truly was heaven, but we can't have everything, can we. Well, the friends of the library sale in Rockport, Maine, this morning was just fine. Fifty cents each, a few things at one and two dollars, and a few things at a bit more, but I came away with ten cartons of books for around $120. Rockport is over an hour away, so we scooted home and opened up the shop a bit late, and I've been repaid for that moral lapse by having no sales today, save a lonely softcover copy of Maugham's Of Human Bondage. Serves me right for saying in my last post that I was busy busy busy. That's the nature of retail, I tell myself, as I try to remain sanguine about it. Highlights of the sale: around thirty poetry books, including books by Mary Oliver, one of my very favorite living poets, Margaret Atwood, Seamus Heaney, Rita Dove, Elizabeth Bishop, Gabriela Mistral, and various others. As the sale opened I found myself at the poetry/classic lit table, and I had the field to myself, so I took my time and combed it thoroughly.

I am halfway through the Frank O'Hara biography, speaking of poetry. I knew once but had forgotten that he was Edward Gorey's roommate at Harvard for a while. O'Hara would never have gone there but for the G.I. bill...

I'm headed home shortly, but I promise to post more soon about what I've been reading - I have a new stack of books from the sale that are calling to me, Read me, no me, read me next. Back, I say, BACK!

Comments:
It's hard to resist the call of new books,I know all too well. I really need to find one of these library sales(not like I don't have enough to read!)..fifty cents per book is heavenly indeed:)
 
30 volumes of poetry for $.50 each!! If it had happened to anyone but you, I would be turning light green with book seller envy. Congratulations on a great haul of books!

P.S. My favorite book found at a recent library sale was the Lord Peter Wimsey Cookbook complete with lovely little black and white line drawings.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?