Wednesday, July 05, 2006

 

Must blog... must blog...

I've got a few minutes between customers - holy cats it's been busy - and I wanted to post a few little bookplates I've recently come across, both on the theme of lending and borrowing books. I don't normally collect bookplates (ex libris), but I am of course interested in people who do, and I like the small size of these two:

The first, from W.D. Daskam, in his copy of a book on the memorials of Westminster Abbey: "Albeit, I never lend nor borrow. Yet to supply the ripe wants of my friend, I'll break a custom."


And the second, from D.O. Campbell, in a generic Scottish history book: "And please return it. You may think this is a strange request, but I find that although many of my friends are poor arithmeticians, they are nearly all of them good book-keepers."


That second one made me chuckle. I know I've posted here before about my inability to lend or borrow books - it never ends well. I prefer to give them away. And just write down titles of books that people tell me I must read, rather than borrow. I know I'll come across a copy eventually. To wit: I just bought some books from a friend who is culling his library, and among them is Brad Gooch's biography of Frank O'Hara, City Poet. I've had this book several times in my shop, and sold every copy, then I decided I wanted to read it and one walked in the door and fell in my lap. I love the opening quote from O'Hara, printed just after the dedication page:

"I can't even enjoy a blade of grass unless I know
there's a subway handy, or a record store or some
other sign that people do not totally regret life."

This is from his great poem "Meditations in an Emergency" - and it could apply to used bookshops too. Or one single good book, for that matter: a sign of life.

I don't put bookplates in my own books, or write my name in them, but I'm still thinking about it. I've seen a few bookplates I loved, most were small and simple. Someday, perhaps. I'd like some nameless person decades from now to know that a book came from my library, to know that I loved my books enough to have my name on them. Likewise for the books in my shop - I'm designing a bookseller's ticket for my hardcovers. I wonder if I'll be able to find someone who can manufacture a ticket that looks sufficiently old-fashioned enough to please me...


Comments:
Dear Sarah,

Any chance of seeing a preliminary sketch of your bookseller ticket?

Dan
 
A bookseller's ticket for Sarah's Books! What a lovely idea!
 
Weeeeel now, I can't decide between a die-cut book-shaped kind of thing, or a short and sweet "Sarah's Books, Bangor, Maine" in two colors. Or round, with my motto "quand même" in the center with a ribbony flourish around it. I will keep you posted as I make these vital decisions...
 
Hello Sarah,

Just discovered your blog this morning... and got hooked ! Scanned your whole archive and got to know quite a bit about you. I will certainly keep on reading...

I've especially appreciated all your posting on booksellers' labels & other book ephemera — being a serious collector of these myself (a few thousand up to now, with a main specialty in items related to the various book trades in Quebec (over 300 items for these alone).

I'm thrilled at the idea of your own bookseller's ticket. Being a part-time letterpress printer, I'd love to get to print labels of this sort... I've been working on one for my wife (an art bookbinder), but altough the design & typesetting are done, the label's not printed yet.

I would also be willing to trade duplicates, if you like.

In an ealier posting (may 31, 2006), you told of a collector in the Netherlands with a huge collection : any chance this person would be interested in trading labels ?

Pierre Rastoul
Montmagny, Quebec
maugerastoul@globetrotter.net
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?