Tuesday, July 18, 2006

 

Never too old for Tintin

The Guardian reviews a new book this week: Tintin and the Secret of Literature by Tom McCarthy (Granta). As kids my sisters and I read and re-read The Adventures of Tintin series so often that they literally fell to pieces, and as an adult I remain interested in all things Tintin, so the largely positive review pleases me: "The pleasure of reading it derives precisely from its author's obsessive approach, his breathtaking grasp of the oeuvre and the sheer exuberance with which he tackles his subject, showing us just how rich with detail and complexity Hergé painted his world." Nice. Hergé's attention to detail is legendary, and the fine artwork in his comics is what draws me back to them over and over. I have a collection of hardcover and softcover Tintins, including some early U.S. hardcovers, a few foreign-language versions, and a coffee table book about Hergé and the making of the series. I got my ten-year-old niece hooked on them last year - I started her out with The Secret of the Unicorn and Red Rackham's Treasure and there was no looking back. My favorite Tintin adventure: Tintin in Tibet, hands down. My niece and I decided that our favorite scenes in the book involve Tintin's dog Snowy and the angels and devils perched over his shoulders who try to influence his decisions. The devil wins out, usually.

Unfortunately I missed the recent documentary about Tintin and his creator, Hergé (born Georges Rémi) on PBS. Did anyone catch it? I'm hoping for a rebroadcast but I'm not holding my breath.

Another place on The Must Visit Someday list: The Tintin Shop in Covent Garden, London, if I need a duvet cover or some dishes, or a few posters for the walls of the bookshop.

Comments:
Hurrah for Tintin! My brother and my son are great fans of Tintin and Snowy. My husband Fund Tintin T-shirts for them in a gift shop in the United Arab Emirates. Well, we know that Tintin really got around!
 
P.S. That's "found" not "Fund" Too late at night for blogging!
 
I've heard that there's a Tintin store in Montreal, also... a little closer than Covent Garden, I suppose.

Thanks for caring about a typo - it's the little things, isn't it!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?