Thursday, August 31, 2006

 

The Royal We

I've been catching some flak for being away, and yesterday my dear pal-in-books Gary came by to visit and catch up, and he gave me this sign for my shop door - I particularly like the use of The Royal We (I have no employees):

Hee hee. I love it. One person yesterday actually chided me rather angrily about being away - she said that lots of people can't go on vacations and I should consider myself very lucky and some people are far too busy and professional (oooh!!!) to be able to get away for so long and this and such and so forth. Well, this is a good time to talk about that word "luck" - people tell me all the time how lucky I am to be doing what I'm doing. Lucky lucky lucky. I myself have come to believe that luck has next to nothing to do with it, and I've started saying so. For luck substitute hard work. My decision to close the shop for a week now and then means that I have no income for that week, so I have to make it up by working harder before or after I go away, both in the shop and online. And I worked hard to build my shop, and I work hard to keep it open. Or, should I say, We work hard. I suppose I can include my husband in The Royal We. He's a big help around here.

Comments:
Someone had the nerve to scold you for being on vacation?! Hello,it's summertime,where plenty of "professional" people take time off!

That sign is great,you should definately use it.
 
I swore to myself that I wouldn't complain about pesky customers on my blog, and here I am doing just that. Arg. I hate whiners, and didn't mean to be one! No more...
 
What was that customer thinking? My life is miserable and yours should be, too? You are providing great books in a lovely space for the good citizens of Bangor and they should grateful each and every day! If anyone is lucky around there it is your customers!
 
Vicky, thank you my dear - she came in again, and told me she would be HAPPY to be in a bookshop all day, and would never need to take vacations. And besides, it wasn't like I had a "real" job, where I had to deal with difficult people (!!!) or anything, so what's the problem...

Mercy, I just did it again. That's it, really, no more bad customer stories. NO MORE.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?