Monday, November 13, 2006

 

I wonder...

...if I can make it through a single post without mentioning books? Oops, guess not. Monday in the shop: I hooked up my new little stereo system (finally found one I could bear the looks of - yes, that's right, the books - oops again - I do mean the LOOKS, a very important consideration when purchasing electronics), tried in vain to program in radio stations (failed, still can't figure out the written instructions as they actually relate to the machine in front of me), by accident found the extra bass for the subwoofer (after thinking for an hour that the sound was good but the overall volume really was quite strangely low), disregarded setting the clock completely, discovered that if I can figure out (once again, a big IF) how to do it I can actually store 99 music tracks in this machine. Didn't know that when I bought it (and no, I don't have an iPod, and in fact I have come very very close to returning to vinyl lately, so I am looking firmly backwards in time, and in fact this machine does have a place I could plug a turntable into).

So on the new cd player today: Hank Williams (Hank I and Hank III), Dwight Yoakam, Bill Monroe, Wayne Hancock, The Be Good Tanyas, Volebeats, Teddy Thompson, and Alison Krauss and Union Station. I stuck most of the sound system in and around an old wooden apple crate, so these alt-country bumpkins should feel right at home. A customer just asked what I was listening to, she wanted to buy a copy. I had to tell her that I don't think I'll be getting into the cd piracy business any time soon. The book (again!) piracy business keeps me busy enough.

Comments:
I love to listen to NPR on Saturdays in the shop. Silly shows in the morning and opera in the afternoon. Lovely! Especially if it is a rainy day. Plenty of those to go around this month! Enjoy your new sound system!
 
I was listening to All Things Considered (the radio was the only thing still working last week) on Thursday and heard both Alain de Botton AND The Be Good Tanyas. I listen to a lot of NPR too, and a lot of WERU, local community radio, commercial free great music, local volunteer djs. And sometimes Stephen King's radio station, WKIT, when I feel like some rockin and rollin. I listen to most anything good...
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?