Saturday, October 06, 2007

 

Forward progress

Is that redundant? Well, if it is, it deserves saying twice, because I've come a long way at the house since the last time I showed pictures of the upstairs hallway. Here's an update:

A few lingering cartons remain, and a slightly larger pile of boxes of books also still lurks stage left. I couldn't get a good shot of the book room early this morning because it was too dark in there (I haven't found any good lamps yet and the lone window faces north into some trees). I'll admit there are a few stacks of books on the floor. But it's coming together and I even have some shelf space left over. Wait, that may be just a mirage, I'm not sure.

I'm hoping to find some big comfy reading chairs this winter, one for the book room and one for right in front of the window in the hall, with ottomans. First, however, we must buy storm windows for the windows that don't already have them. The nights are getting cold. Fall is such a cliche here in Maine, but it's ok because it's all true - brilliant red and yellow maple leaves, apple-picking and cider-making, brisk wind off the deep blue sea. Beautiful. We haven't had a frost yet at our house. Because of our proximity to the coast it's some degrees warmer than a few miles inland, where it's frosted twice already - but it's on it's way. I'm eating tomatoes out of the garden as fast as I can. And thinking about what I want to read this winter. Every year at this time I get the urge to start some big reading project - two years ago it was Pepys, last year the Iliad and the Odyssey. This year I may be sneaking up on Dante. I'll keep you posted.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?