Thursday, November 01, 2007

 

Frost on the punkin'

I had no trick-or-treaters at the shop yesterday, but last night at home we reached double digits. Ryan dressed up as a colonial gentleman (he used to be a historical reenactor, so he has all the cool clothes - cape, tricorn hat, buckled shoes, breeches - long story) and I was a cowgirl. We went a little over the top because this is our first holiday in our house - put pumpkins and candle lanterns on the front steps, with a big basket of eatables. Okay, candy. Good candy, though. The best costumes belonged to two little girls who came to the door separately - the first was a swan (elaborate homemade white swan costume and shiny black boots) and the second was Dorothy from The Wizard of Oz (pigtails, dress, ruby slippers, Toto, the works). We also encountered a yeti (asked him if he was a gorilla, or a zombie gorilla, he said "No, I'm a yeti!"), some power rangers, two little devils, and an evil jester (had little skulls instead of bells). And some proud parents hovering costume-less in the background. It was great. See you, October. Onward, to the month of thankfulness.

Lots to be thankful for. Today my mother-in-law included me in a spammy group email that had a lot of cute pictures in it, and ended "Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle," an interesting statement and one which made me rethink saying the other day in the comments that it's fine to be rude right back to customers who are rude to you (me). I've since changed my mind. Take the high road, whenever possible. Don't be a doormat, but don't add to the sum total of meanness in the world. Easily written... Not that I've had any rude customers this week, because I haven't. They've been few but singularly polite and even verbose with praise for my little shop. Which makes me pink with pleasure.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?