Thursday, December 04, 2008

 

Poking with a sharp stick actually works

Ok, I've been hiding out. I am still here. I've been living in the physical world all fall, not so much in the internet ether. But Ian has tagged me and I feel obliged to respond to his kind prompts, and rejoin the party, as it were. Quote:

I am so sorry. So very sorry...but not so sorry not to inflict this upon you, too. Please consider yourself 'tagged':

You have been tagged. Here are the rules:

1. Link to the person or persons who tagged you.
2. Post the rules on your blog.
3. Write six random things about yourself.
4. Tag six people at the end of your post and link to them.
5. Let each person know they’ve been tagged and leave a comment on their blog.
6. Let the tagger know when your entry is up.

End quote.

Now, one of my favorite painters (besides myself! I am truly so good!) was also recently tagged with this same set of instructions, but his friend added a new requirement - add an extra item to your list. A fake item. And see who can spot it for the dastardly deception it is. I'm using categories, because "random things" is too random for me. To make things difficult, some of these are two-parters. To wit:

1. Food: my favorite vegetable is the green and humble leek. Yum! My least favorite is the shiny and bitter green bell pepper. Blech!

2. Personal appearance: my hair is sort of naturally blondish/brownish, but has been all of the following colors: platinum blonde, black, and orange.

3. Literary habits: I have never read a book written by William Faulkner. I hear he's good, too.

4. Upbringing: I grew up in an old house with no running water. We had an outhouse out back. It was character-building!

5. Outdoor activities: sitting on a beach in the hot summer sun is true bliss for me. I can spend hours this way. And I have.

6. Musical taste: I secretly love ELO (Not so secretly now, I guess! Turn-to-stone, when you are gone, I...turn...to...stone...) and Eagles (Take it to the Limit makes me cry, and if someone really wants to know why, I will spill the beans).

7. Gamesmanship: My husband Ryan can usually beat me at Scrabble, wordy as I am. He has better pattern recognition than I do. I get too caught up in attempts at elegant and/or funny wordplay.

Can anyone spot the fake? Hello? Hello?? Is anyone still there? No? Oh, well, this was fun anyway.

I'm tagging Kate, Jonathan and Justine, Rachel, and I really can't think of anyone else who hasn't already been tagged. That's how long I've been out of the blog-world... aeons! (That, and all of a sudden everyone is on Facebook instead.)

Comments:
welcome back
 
Hi Antony - good to know you are still around! Thanks for making your presence known.

Two people have emailed with their guesses about which item on the list is the fake. Neither person was correct. I'm not giving any clues.
 
Sarah,

Good to know you're up and doing (and stacking wood). As for your fake item, I had a guess and did a quick search of your blog and I was right. No more will be said- no spoilers.

Don't hibernate all winter!

Best,

Dan
 
Sweet Sarah,

Good to hear you are still there... how was the artist-in-residence program? You are still one of my very favorite bloggers.
Love your sensibility, bookstore or not. Please stay with us!
 
Hey Dan, yep - sad, isn't it! Kind of a trick question, considering this is primarily a BOOK blog. Oops, there go the beans...

Hi Maureen, how nice of you to say what you said - the a-i-r program was a roaring success and I will post soon about it, promise.

Good news: my love of books is coming back, and I'm reading a lot again. After closing the shop and moving everything, I had just about had it with those damn oblong papery things cluttering up my entire life. After a few months' perspective, and a cold that kept me reading in bed for a few days, I can safely report that I'm back, baby! Phew.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?