Thursday, January 23, 2014

 

on writing oftener


In 1867 Samuel Clemens writes to his family:

"Dear Folks,

I know I ought to write oftener... & more fully, but I can not overcome my repugnance to telling what I am doing or what I expect to do or propose to do.  Then, what have I left to write about?  Manifestly nothing."

And he writes again, in 1868:

"I have got a thousand things to do, & am not doing any of them.  I feel perfectly savage."

(From Mark Twain's Letters Volume 2, p.49 and p.152, respectively.)

And so it is with me.  Life has been overfull lately and having already lived it, I don't particularly want to talk about any of it.  I will return to discuss books soon, however, as always.   Though I will just say that I am three volumes in to Mark Twain's Letters. And they make me deeply happy.  I think Valentine's Day will be a perfect time for a discussion about Clemens's courtship letters to his future wife.  He was minding his own business, living the life of a vagabond journalist and confirmed bachelor, then he met a certain young woman, the woman in fact, and fell over a veritable cliff of love.  Blindsided.  A total coup de foudre.  He wrote her exceptional love letters for months and months, and then they married.  Most satisfactory, first in life and now on paper!  More to follow.

Comments:
An interesting post. Life can be pretty hectic at times!

Thank you. Love love, Andrew. Bye.
 
Isn't it just, Andrew! The trick is so remain calm anyway. Thanks to you as well.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?