Wednesday, March 28, 2018

 

book by book


Where is spring?  Not here.  Not a scrap of green in sight and a good foot of snow still adrift over the garden beds wherein all the crocuses and daffodils continue to sleep.  Not to mention chives and thyme.  And forsythia - nary a blossom.  Usually by now all these welcome harbingers are showing signs of life.  Me too.  But, TEN DAYS of the flu had me caring very little about this, or anything else for that matter.  Last week was the worst.  I was TOO SICK TO READ BOOKS, that's how bad it got for a few days.  I still loved them, intellectually, but I just did not care in my heart of hearts about anything, bookish or otherwise.  It was a truly pitiful place to be and I'm glad to say I have moved beyond that, back onto the map, firmly in the land of the living.  The sun is attempting to come out today and melt some of this white stuff.  I love life and books again, and am in fact writing to share a recent red letter day, in that regard.  Because, my bookplates are here!  They arrived two days ago and I have been examining them with quiet delight ever since.  I unwrapped all of the careful packaging, then paused when I came to the final box:


I had to pace around a bit!  Big moment!  Then I opened the lid and this is what I saw:


I took out one of each bookplate and looked them over carefully - there is our hedgehog friend, for my art books, and then the second design, a flock of Canada geese, airborne, above a meadow and spruce trees, for the rest of my books:


After my initial fit of glee, I unpacked everything, and at the bottom of the box found this folder with the numbered, signed, untrimmed versions.  Ten of each, for keeping or giving:


 
For a closer look, the final design of the geese bookplate, since I hadn't yet shared it here:


To say I am happy with these bookplates is an understatement to end all understatements.  The designs themselves - these tiny works of art - the creamy paper, the black ink, the scent of the print shop, the impression of the woodblocks, all of it is a WOW, in my book (so to speak).  Frankly I can hardly believe my good fortune, to be able to commission such things from this master engraver who has myriad other projects and collaborations and yet even so, fit these into his schedule.  He has said that there is nothing about what he does that can be rushed.  I will add that his work is certainly worth waiting for.  He has designed and printed well over a hundred bookplates, over the course of many years, and I am thrilled to be part of his ongoing continuum of book-ephemera.  Thank you with all my heart, Andy English!

Yesterday and today I spent time in the book room, eyeing the shelves, making mental notes about which books will end up with bookplates affixed inside their covers and which will not (sorry, dear books, must draw that line somewhere and somehow).  My art books will not present much of a problem - mostly hardcovers, mostly bookplate-worthy, a tidy collection in general, and I have more than enough bookplates for the books I already have on hand, with many to spare for future additions.  The rest of my books, though... I foresee difficulties.  Softcovers...?  If a hardcover was never printed, or if I could simply never afford the hardcover version?  First editions only...?  Beloved reprints too?  A good spring cleaning looms large here, in the book room and the rest of the house in general, and as I begin that task, I look forward to approaching each shelf and making these decisions, book by book.  First, there is no wrong way to do this, I feel.  And second, the doing of it will help me visit with all of my books once again.  Which is a win-win, no matter what.  At this point what I own, or rather have temporary stewardship of, is what I love best.  So many big sorts and culls over the years have left me with a lot of odd, bright gems.  I may clear out even more books, and I may keep some books that surprise me in the long run.  I may add to certain small collections and eliminate others entirely.  The world swirls on, spring surely approaches, but for now it is fine to linger here, in the quiet of the late winter, coming slowly back to life and contemplating things such as this.         

Comments:
WOW in our books too...
 
Those are so beautiful! What a fun project, working out your own rules for how to use them. Enjoy!
 
Thanks ccr!! I am verrry excited about this, as you can surely tell! Am considering various adhesives - I have some bookbinding pva right now but it is old and getting a bit gummy so I may visit an art supply store for something fresher. Also thinking of methyl cellulose. Then - use the adhesive along a narrow edge of the bookplate only , to tip it in, or a corner, or the whole thing? So many decisions!

A booklover's dream, isn't it, Antony? Personalizing one's library in this way? I wanted something that would add value to each book, not detract from its value (either sentimental value or monetary value - the former being the primary consideration, since I have few books worth any money to speak of). Quiet pleasures. Thanks for checking in.
 
Update today - most exciting - the first crocuses are out of the snowbank and are IN BLOOM! No going back now!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?